Pinterest-worthy visuals meet TikTok-style entertainment. That’s a good description of Instagram’s newest feature Reels. The social media platform just launched this new feature in the U.S. in August, so now is the time to jump on this trend to grow your business and have fun doing it! That’s right — we’re talking about 7 ways wedding pros can rock their Instagram Reels today!
A QUICK OVERVIEW OF INSTAGRAM REELS
First, let’s talk about the basics. If you’re not familiar with Reels, that’s okay. It’s relatively new. But, if you’re on Instagram at all, you’ve definitely noticed an uptick in entertaining video content. That’s due to Reels.
In a nutshell, Instagram users were spending more and more time on TikTok, so Instagram upped their game with the Reels feature. It includes perks that aren’t on TikTok and Instagram is pushing this feature hard, which means small business owners like you can get in front of a large audience on the Explore page if you’ll just start creating content.
Does the thought of Reels have your head spinning? If you’re a novice, no worries because everyone kind of is.
Here’s a helpful, easy-to-understand Youtube tutorial on getting started with Reels. It’s super practical and covers all the basics.
Facts About Reels
- Allows users to create 30-second short-form video content.
- Users can easily add sound, effects, text, and more.
- Anyone with a public account has a chance to be featured on the Explore page — with worldwide exposure.
- While TikTok is a little zanier in its content, Reels succeed by adding value, education, and entertainment. (Remember, it’s a different audience. Not every TikTok trend will translate.)
Benefits of Using Reels
- It’s new, so the field is wide-open and users are more forgiving and interested in the content.
- Instagram wants this feature to succeed so they are pushing and promoting Reels content first and foremost.
- Reels stay relevant and accessible longer than standard posts or stories. They can be found on Explore for weeks potentially.
7 WAYS WEDDING PROS CAN ROCK THEIR INSTAGRAM REELS
If you’re ready to rock your Instagram Reels, we’re got 8 practical — and fun — ideas to get you started.
1. Introduce yourself.
This could be introducing yourself as the wedding pro. It could also be a clip introducing your service or your team. There’s a lot of ways to tackle this topic. It’s one that you can use again and again.
The wedding pros at Adventure Instead do a great job of covering a lot in their introduction and keeping it fun!
2. Share a How-To clip related to your service.
Are you a photographer? Create a quick how-to Reel such as three ways to pose in your engagement photos, such as what JBJ Pictures did in this fun example.
Ultimately, this concept works for anyone and everyone — and can be recycled endlessly. Use your most frequently asked questions to inspire your How-To Reels.
Alternative Take: Maybe you’d rather do a Life Hack. They sound the same, but they are slightly different. These are a little more generic and put you on the same level as the consumer as if you’re sharing a cool secret you found out like the tip from this influencer.
3. Show your workspace.
Now, more than ever, virtually visiting locations is considered entertaining — as well as interesting content. This gives potential customers a taste of who you are and what you’re like.
Do you have an “office” dog/mascot? Show them off. Do you love keeping your files organized? Highlight your filing system and turn that into your next Reels as a life-hack.
While people can’t always come to the office right now, let them see you in your natural habitat and connect with you there.
Alternative Take: Not thrilled about showcasing your workspace. Change it to a 15-second day in the life post. These are always popular.
4. Before and After transformations.
Before and after transformation clips rule the interwebs. It’s so satisfying to see how a project starts and how it finishes. It creates such a sense of accomplishment — and showcases your skill at the same time.
There are a few ways to tackle this type of Reels content. This interior designer created a timelapse Reel showcasing a small space transformation — and we’re loving it!
Whether you’re showcasing a floral install, a wedding set up or designing a tablescape — anything — make sure to make it part of your Reels! It’s a simple way to add value, entertain, and give potential clients a preview of your work.
5. Share a list of favorites.
These could be favorite products, songs, snacks, etc. Share your favorite pre-wedding emergency kit list, or your favorite lippy for a photoshoot,etc. Think of items that would help your target demographic and share your favorite picks. This adds major value, positions you as an expert guide, and gives you a connection with potential clients right off the bat.
Here’s an interesting example of a simple favorite’s list by one Instagram influencer.
As you see, the video can be simple. Production value isn’t the most important thing. Value, entertainment or education — having one (or more) of those is the most important thing.
6. Share funny moments such as “That feeling when…”
Don’t forget the entertainment factor when creating your Reels. It’s okay — even encouraged — to get a little cheeky.
The wedding space is full of opportunities for humor and couples are usually here for it. Wedding planning can feel stressful, so help break the tension with some “we feel you” kind of humor like this —
And don’t be afraid to put your own spin on trends like this one —
7. Practical Quick-Tips
Maybe humor isn’t your forte and you feel more comfortable sharing helpful information. Practical quick tips are where you will shine. Wedding pros can rock their Instagram Reels by keeping them full of expert tips. These have to be bite-sized and stay on topic.
Here’s a great example of practical tips that add value —
This is just the tip of the iceberg and few of the most relevant ways to rock your Instagram Reels.
Looking for more ideas? Here’s a lightning round list —
- Sneak Peeks
- Restock Announcements
- New Product Announcements
- Reactions to Customer Love
- Fashion Show
- Industry Secrets (or Secret Perks to Product or Service)
- Celebrate Milestones
- Company’s Origin Story
- Start a Challenge Video
PRO-TIPS FOR ROCKING YOUR REELS
- Take a dive into the Reels deep end and see what’s popular right now. There may be a trend that suits you perfectly right now!
- Remember, the Reels audience isn’t like TikTok, so the same trends won’t always translate.
- Successful Reels focus on adding value, educating, or entertaining.
- When it comes to planning Reels content remember to KISS. (Keep it super simple.) One to three quick concepts are the max you want to tackle in the brief 15-second clip.
- Have fun with the music. Make sure the words add to the value or humor by hitting at the right moments. Lyrics or tone add a lot to video success.
Now that you’re ready to rock your Reels, it’s time to make sure your Instagram game has leveled-up. Check out 8 Ways Your Wedding Business Should Be Using Instagram to Reach Engaged Couples to make sure you’ve got your bases covered.
Written by Corrie McGee